Friday, September 8, 2017

Work It Out

I enjoy working out, because not only does it wake me up early in the morning before going to work, it provides this boost of energy that last throughout the day and keeps me alert while doing menial tasks. Although I haven't worked out as much as I would like here lately (hence my weight gain!), I still find joy in those moments of working out. For me, working out in the morning works better than afternoons, because I know as soon as I get off work the last thing on my mind is working out!


Working out physically comes with its own benefits ranging from boosting one's attitude, being able to sleep better and reducing one's risk of diseases such as high blood pressure and heart disease. With also helping to alleviate anxiety and sharpen your memory - something that I'm needing more and more everyday, exercising can seemingly only aid in someone's physical and emotional well-being. However, with all "good" things there are its downfalls. If you work out in excess, you risk minor to major injuries - muscle tears and even possible causing your immune system to weaken. Although exercising benefits the body, it can also add stress to the body.

Why I am even talking about this? Because last November I pulled my back and I was out of work for two days recovering, all because of working out. One thing I've noticed, especially here lately is that our Western society places huge emphasis on physical appearances. You have to have the right hair, makeup and clothes to even get recognized. God doesn't care about what we wear if we haven't been changed within. He doesn't care if we have the strongest muscles if we're spiritual weak, immature & separated from Him due to sin. 

I guess the point of the matter is this, what do you value? Where or in what things do you find your worth? If you're placing everything you have in things that are found on earth - appearance, fitness, clothing - you're going to get disappointed every time. No amount of money, power or fame can fill the void that the God and Creator of the Universe can fill. I'm going to leave you with this passage from Luke to think upon:
"Then He said to His disciples, 'Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; nor about the body, what you will put on. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? If you then are not able to do the least, why are you anxious for the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith" "But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you." - Luke 12: 22-28; 31
Questions to Reflect:
1. Where, or in what thing(s) do you find your worth and value? Is it God or things in this world?
2. In what areas do you need to trust God more in knowing your worth in Him?

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment