Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Spiritual Discernment in All Things

This post may be controversial to some. What is being talked about in this post is a very heavy topic for any believer; however, with the state that this world is in today, I believe it is much necessary for us to have this dialogue. You may leave this post shaking your head, mad, or happy - whatever the emotion, make sure it is based on Biblical principles. Know the truth. Do your own research (2 Timothy 2:15). I've prayed much and researched hard about what's covered here today, and any names mentioned aren't meant to elevate on person or downgrade another's work in ministry. 

Photo: Justin Luebke (unsplash)


To be a lover of learning, you have to be a lover of reading. Just the thought of reading something new - even if it's just a non-fiction book, can broaden one's mind and experience new things that any non-reader couldn't experience in a thousand lifetimes. Reading and learning are all necessary parts of life, but what we read a learn can also make a huge difference in how we live our lives. 

We live in the times where there are TONS of Christian "Speakers/authors/theologians" out there, who are going about their life's mission to "share the Gospel", which is all good, but I think we should look a little deeper at the actions and motives behind many of the people that come before us, whether it be in the pulpit, street corner, or television screen. I'm going to try to say this as clearly and carefully as I can by the aiding of the Holy Spirit, because I'm not writing this post with any means of hurting others or making anyone feel that they are less than. My desire with this post is to truly speak the truth of the Gospel in love in order to bring about edification. 

I enjoy listening to godly men such as Paul Washer, Matt Chandler, Voddie Baucham and John MacArthur speak and listen to their messages. If you've ever listened to one of either of these men's messages, you can tell that their time with God comes before anything. With that, we as Christians in general should be spending more time with God in His Word than relying on God to speak through our local pastors. It's our responsibility, and it should be a privilege, to spend time with God each day, moment by moment, because it helps maintain our communication with God. You really can't have an intimate relationship with someone that you never speak with. Along these same lines, we can't rely on our pastors or "celebrity" Christians (I hate the thought of even saying that) to spiritually guide us in all truth, because that's the role of the Holy Spirit - we can't have proper, biblical discernment if we're not going to the only source of all our clarity - the Bible. 



Looking at men and women such as Steven Furtick, Joyce Meyer, and Christine Caine, to name a few, I know that I couldn't and wouldn't want to ever be like them. I couldn't be like them, because I believe that they each have unique personalities that I could never emulate. They have very strong, dynamic personalities that really sets them out apart from many, which leads me to why I wouldn't want to ever be like them. One of the main reasons why I wouldn't want to be like these women is because, although they may have good intentions, I don't think that many of the things that they're doing is in line with what the Scriptures speak about for the roles of women and women in the church. This may upset some, especially women, but from much of what I've seen of these women, their ministries aren't just targeting women, but also men. In Titus 2, it speaks of the older women admonishing or training the young women to be reverent in behavior, "that the word of God may not be blasphemed" (Titus 2:1-5). The same is in respect for older men training younger men (v 6-8), and bondservants (v 9-10). I don't know about you, but I don't see how a godly older woman can train a young man on how to become a godly man. Again, this isn't me here trying to downgrade these women and their ministries, because I do believe that God is using them in some capacity. However, based on Scripture and not my opinion, I don't believe that they are in line with what the Bible states in 1 Timothy 2:12-14, and in that respect, are wrong. 

Again, I'm not trying to put anyone down with writing this post. I just believe that we as Christians should be practicing spiritual discernment as it relates to what we take in and absorb. Not everything that you hear is biblically based and coming from pure, godly intentions. I believe that within this targeted audience of women that I write to, God has allowed me to develop this gift of writing He's given me in order to help, uplift, encourage and discern in matters of truth. 

It is my hope that you who come to this site to read my postings are reading posts that are biblically sound, because with external opposition against us already, we as Christians cannot fall apart with our doctrinal truths.
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you." - 1 Peter 5:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment