Wednesday, November 1, 2017

His Strength is Perfect

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:4-6


I have been wanting to write a blog post for some time now, but for reasons only God knows I've been dealing with a terrible bout of writer's block. The last time I've experienced a writer's block of this nature had to be in 2015. I had just graduated from college in that May, and I was having the hardest time finding a job - no prospects were on the horizon. It wasn't until I had gone about six months without having a job in sight that the anxiety and depession truly started to set in and infect every part of my life. I got to the point where I wouldn't talk much, and when I did I would cry uncontrollably. As mentioned before, when I get stressed out about anything, I will have extreme stomach issues - imagine that for six months. I couldn't speak about this (or at least felt I couldn't speak) for a number for reasons: 1. the feeling that no one would care, 2. I had moved back home with my parents after graduation, so any friend that I could possibly call, meet with or reach out to were well over two hours away, and 3. the feeling that if I did speak out about this issue, that no one would listen to my concerns.

I do believe that we as believers and followers of Christ should have more conversations on the topic of mental health, amongst other topics. We're called to bear the image of Jesus Christ among those who are lost and dying, physically and spiritually. Through one man's sin (Adam), sin entered into the world, causing death through sin, spreading to all men (Romans 5:12). Because of sin, we're now faced with sin's consequences, consequences that effect us spiritually & physically, of which includes anxiety, depression, having to wear glasses & other health issues. 

Although trials are certain to come in life, the indescribable peace of God provides comfort and protection for all who seek Him.

Three Points on Depression for the Christian:

1. Although you may feel like you're alone and no one is on your side, you're never alone (Deuteronomy 31:6; Hebrews 13:5-6; Joshua 1:9). - I remember back in 2015, I would try to talk to my mom about some of the issues I was having at that time. Some conversations would go well, and yet there were those talks that would leave me regreting asking for her advice. The one verse that gave me comfort during this time was Hebrews 13:5b. You're never alone. God is with you and will guide you in His truth. He will give you understanding to know that your depression now is serving a greater purpose, to bring glory to His name.


2. Find comfort in the cross of Christ (1 Peter 5:7) - There's nothing more comforting than being able to take off something that you've worn all day long that has just been a constant burden. That's where the Cross comes into picture. Jesus became our sin, who Himself knew no sin, that through Him we may become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). Through Jesus' death and resurrection, we can lay down those heavy weights of guilt, shame, depression and defeat and cling to Him with faith. 

3. Reach out to others - Don't go through this alone. We're not called to live this Christian life alone. Speak with someone you know well that you trust - your pastor, close friend, parent, sibling - and share what you're going through. 

I pray that this post has help someone, anyone in dealing with depression or any struggles that you may be going through. I pray that God will continue to be with you, but most importantly, I pray that you won't close yourself off to God and those around you. I'm here for you, but God is with you and He'll ever leave you.

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment