Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Contentment

Last week I received a phone call from my brother about my cell phone. He basically told me that my cell phone contract was up and I had only a week to figure out my next mode of communication. At first I was pretty shocked because I wasn't expecting my contract to be up so soon even though I was expecting it to come up, but eventually I shook off my shock-factor and starting coming up with a plan on how I'm going to get a new phone. 

The week past, and I still hadn't figured out what I was going to do about my cell phone. Things got to the point were I began to build up resentment and some degree of anger towards the situation. I began to feel that since I was doing everything I could possibly do right, I was entitled to having what I wanted, especially a nice cell phone, when I wanted to have it. I really began to develop the mindset that to be great and to be considered successful and have great pleasures in life I should have and I deserved to have extravagant things in life. 

I talked to a very good friend of mine that I met on the missions trip that I did this summer and talk about in my post "This Summer", and she mentioned to me that she was experiencing the same phone issues that I was currently going through. By the end of my conversation with her God had completely humbled me. During the week of scrambling to figure out my phone situation, God had led me to read Philippians 4:10-13. God had only led me to read the passage once, and because of that I really didn't grasp why I was reading it and what God wanted me to see in this passage, not until I talked to my friend. As soon as my friend began to talk about how she needed to become content with what she had and the limited resources she had as being a college student, I began to hear God telling me the exact same things. At that point, I really hadn't become content with anything that God had already given me - the ability and resources to attend college and do pretty well, going on a summer missions project, the list can go on - part of that self-entitled, prideful nature was coming up withing me, and God quickly corrected me on that. 

"I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that once again you renewed your care for me. You were, in fact, concerned about me but lacked the opportunity to show it. I don't say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I  have learned the secret of being content - whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me." -  Philippians 4: 10-13
The fulfillment of life isn't wrapped up in how much or little I have materially, nor is my worth centered on my physical and emotional circumstances. The essence of contentment is wrapped around my understanding of what the Gospel has done for me, currently is doing for me, and will do for me, and with this strength that God gives me and all believers I can be humble and at peace in situations that I would normally find uncomfortable and hard to handle. I'm slowly coming to understand all of what is meant with this, but with growth and correction I know I'll truly understand that contentment is found only in the God of the Gospel. 

**For more info about resting in God's timing and what He has given you, check out Lauren Adams' post called "Tired? Better Get You Some REST!" on her blog "Not Your Average Girl"!

No comments:

Post a Comment