Monday, October 5, 2015

Refection #2: For the Days When You Feel Like "Blah"

You're neither happy, sad, or even angry about anything. You lay in bed in the morning, hoping that there's some extra time before you start your day, but of course, there isn't. You get up, go through the motions of getting yourself set for the day, but you still haven't gotten into the "groove" of the day. 

Ugh. I don't like those days.

By ten o' clock, you're on your third cup of coffee (and you don't even drink coffee), hoping things will turn around, but you still...feel...like...blah! As much as you try to get out of your little funk, you just can't seem to do it. 

It seems that here lately I've been having these days more often than I used to. Searching for work is really hard work. I go from upbeat one minute to depressed the next minute. And please don't let me forget to mention added external pressures and demands (family, parents, church, ministry, etc). By the end of it all, sometimes I feel like I'm about to lose my mind. That's when my frenemy kicks in.

We all know what this frenemy is - Anxiety. It comes out of seemingly nowhere, but when it shows up, it doesn't want to leave. It starts in one room of your mind, destroying your peace, then moves to the next room, removing your joy, and by the end of it all, your left standing in a wrecked mental mindset, trying on your own to pick up the pieces of your life, mind and sanity that have just fallen apart before your eyes. 

This can happen at any time, with any situation. For me here lately, I get anxious over very small things. For instance, I graduated from college and, like many recent college graduates, I'm still looking for a job. But in addition to this, I have to be selective about what job to take if the offer comes up. I would rather work a seemingly low-pay job that I know I'll be doing what God wants me to do than work at a very high paying job that God never placed me at to begin with. This internal struggle/dialogue that I have within myself can result in some major physical anxiety breakdowns. My health will get all out of wack, and I can get really sick because of it. 

What are you afraid of, when God has everything in HIS control? Be fearless, be brave, and be confident to know that God will do everything He's promised in HIS time.

The only thing anxiety has done for me is kept me where I am. That may be okay for some, but God has called us to so much more! Here's the thing - when problems, trials or situations come our way, many of us Christians often get scared and sit with our heads in our laps, hoping that the storm will pass over us. We don't want to see the "mess" that's in our lives, but the more we try not to see it, the more it overtakes us. My friend, there is no way that we can experience the peace of God if we're not place our trust in Him.

We get so fearful, so anxious of what our current circumstances are that we fail to look up and see God's work and salvation through it all. Yes, God can and will deliver us from our storms even with fear lingering in our hearts, but wouldn't it be so much better if we looked up to Him as our only hope and source of peace, knowing that He has everything under control? It's time for us to move from fear to faith and trust God, not just with our eternal salvation, with with our ALL.

I also know that there may be some of you that happen to run across this article, that may not be at peace with God. You can never experience true peace outside of God, no matter what the world tells you and no matter what imitation or substitute there is out there. To experience the peace of God, you must be at peace with God, and that is found through Jesus Christ. I pray that in this time of reading, you'll also read about the amazing love that God has for you.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you. - Philippians 4:8&9

SDG 

No comments:

Post a Comment