Monday, January 2, 2017

Making a Fresh Start

RENEW:
  • To restore or replenish
  • To make, say, or do again.
  • To revive, re-establish
  • To restore to a former state; make new or as new again.

A new year has finally come upon us, and a lot of us have already planned out our New Year's Resolutions, which I mentioned a few of mine in my last post for 2016. However, I think that we get so caught up in the hype of welcoming a new year, that we fail to actually take any action. For me, that's most evident in my spiritual life. 

Being renewed spiritually is important for many reasons, but here are a few:
  1. Being renewed spiritually provides perspective in us retaking the race that God has called us to run.
  2. Renewal replenishes our passion for God and faith in Him.
  3. Allows us to recommit ourselves - passions, desires, time, talent, etc. - to what God is calling us to do. 

This year, 2017, I believe will be a year of renewal for me spiritually. It's a matter of re-dedication to serving God, loving others, and sharing the Gospel that I feel all the more compelled to be continually renewed and led by the Holy Spirit to provide guidance in every aspect of my life. There were so many areas last year that I felt that could have been more - praying more, sharing the Gospel more, loving others more - that could have taken my focus off myself and placed them on God. At the end of it all, at the end of this life, each of us will have to give an account of our lives, and I want to live my life in a way that pleases God and not glorify my earthly, temporary desires. 

Here's some areas that we could all focus on:
  1. Renewed Mind (Romans 12:1&2): How can we serve God fully if we have the mindset of the world? We can't! By having a mind transformed and conformed to the image of God, we're able to flee temptation and leave behind all things that are bound to enslave us (Philippians 3:12-16). All of this is to be done to purse the call of Christ.
  2. Renewed Body (1 Corinthians 6:19 &20) : There are sins that we commit, both openly and secretly, that we commit. Many think that when they commit a sin, the sin is only against themselves, but that's not true. We have been bought with the blood of Jesus Christ - why then do we live and look like the world all the time? Our bodies are the temple of the living God (2 Corinthians 6:17) - He dwells in us and is our God. Let's live like   it.
  3. Renewed Spirit (Psalm 139:23 & 24): Being renewed spiritually is a continual thing. Day to day, moment by moment, our spirits must be renewed for encouragement, conviction, and growth. Our daily prayer should be that God would search our hearts and try us, removing any wickedness and sin from within us to become more like Him. 
Allow God to renew you spiritually in 2017 to be of service to Him. 


SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment